LWB Training are an approved provider of end-point assessment for the Revenues and Welfare Benefits Practitioner level 4 apprenticeship. To book an assessment, complete this form and email it back to us at the address on the form.
The end-point assessment will be conducted by an independent assessor. It is made up of three parts:
- A presentation and question-and-answer session on 5 cases completed following the Gateway
- A project based on the appeal process
- A professional discussion about working behaviours
An apprentice will have up to 3 months to complete the End Point Assessment.
There are 3 possible outcomes:
- Fail—which will mean that the apprentice will have to undertake at least part of the assessment again
- Pass—which means that the apprentice has met the required standard
- Distinction—which means that the apprentice has exceeded the required standard
Prices and payments
The prices for end-point assessment for the Revenues and Welfare Benefits Practitioner Level 4 apprenticeship are:
|Full end-point assessment||£850|
|Resit of presentations / Q&A||£325|
|Resit of project assignment||£105|
|Resit of professional discussion||£325|
For full end-point assessment, 20% of the total fee must be paid at the time of booking. The remaining 80% will be due once the end-point assessment is complete.
The full fee for any resit must be paid at the time of booking the resit.
Group bookings – If you have a cohort of apprentices in the same location, we may be able to offer some discount on the price. Please contact us to discuss this.
Preparing for end-point assessment
Before the apprentice can go through the end-point assessment, they must meet the requirements of the Gateway detailed in the published end-point assessment plan. This means that the apprentice’s employer must be satisfied that the apprentice:
- Has the required knowledge detailed in the standard to the required occupational competence
- Consistently demonstrates the required skills and behaviours detailed in the standard
- Has achieved Level 2 maths and English or an appropriate alternative
- Is ready for end-point assessment
- Has the opportunity to prepare the cases needed for the presentation
How it will work
When we receive your booking form and the relevant payment explained above, we will issue guidance for the apprentice, employer and training provider on how the full process will work. This will include a personalised timetable for each apprentice, a guide on how to prepare for each element of the assessment, and sample materials to be used in practice for the end-point assessment.
We will discuss the practical aspects of the end-point assessment, such as location, exact timing and any special arrangement requests with you or your representative from the training provider to ensure that the whole process runs as smoothly as possible.
Once agreed, we will confirm all the details in writing.
Full details of how each element of the assessment will work can be found here.
- EPA Complaints Policy
- EPA Conflict of Interest Policy
- EPA Enquiries and Appeals Policy
- EPA Maladministration and Malpractice Policy
- EPA Special Arrangements and Special Consideration Policy
- Revenues and Welfare Benefits Practitioner EPA Delivery Plan
- Revenues and Welfare Benefits Practitioner EPA QA Strategy
"I thoroughly enjoyed my experience whilst learning with LWB Training. Whilst learning Local Taxation, the trainers and mentors taught me in depth a completely new field of work for myself. With a lot of help from them, I managed to successfully complete my qualification and begin a career within the Council."
"I had a positive experience with LWB Training. Throughout my training, the tutor was very helpful and the knowledge has helped me in completing my training. I think that LWB Training’s strong points are that they have a wealth of knowledge of the topics that they are teaching and they are very helpful in providing learning resources for students to do research and gain more knowledge on various topics."